Friday, July 9, 2010

Kahve cehennem kadar kara, ölüm kadar güçlü ve aşk kadar, da tatlı olmalıdır...




Result of my first attempt brewing kafa bosankska at home.

It wasn't anywhere nearly as good as Zeytin's made for me, but it was tasty to have sitting at my own desk.  And it was better when I brewed it up this morning.

It should be noted that, despite the appearances being virtually identical, kafa bosankska differs from Turkish coffee (aside from using the questionably-sourced proverb quoted above), bosankska is made differently than is Turkish.  [once the grounds are in the fildžan—or dzezva, if you're making kafa jugoslavska—you put the container on a low-heat to 'roast' the grounds while the water almost-boils, and after the almost-boiling water is poured (slowly now, else you'll have an exploding mud pot of almost-boiling coffee sludge flying out at 90º+ radius around the fildžan) over the grounds, the fildžan is placed on a low-heat to froth a few times (to taste, I suppose) before serving.  I have no sugar cubes, and prefer raw sugar to refined, so I use the little brass spoon to measure out loose sugar for each cup.  While I do not sweeten my coffee to the degree that Bosnians (nor Jugoslavs, for that matter) do, I have brought myself from wanting milk in it (an heretical act!).  Alas!  I have no rahatlokum (Turkish delight) to nibble while drinking, but I'm sure in larger cities in this country, I'd be able to track some down.  I like the white ones with figs and nuts in them, then rolled in coconut.  Of the six-some variants I've had, those go nicely on my palette.

So, I've had my morning coffee and shared a bit about it.  Time to organize some things and do laudry and such that is much needed.  Today I hope to begin sorting through my notebooks and posting some things I hoped to post during the journey but couldn't or didn't.  These recent ten hours of sleep were just what I needed.

I'd fully enjoy being home if the air conditioning worked properly in this corner of the house.




~•~

P.S.  The proverb above is recounted in English as something like, "Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love..."



~~

No comments:

Post a Comment