Friday, June 4, 2010

Ubek biti tu ćuprija

"The bridge is most most valuable human creation."

"The bridge does not ask who crosses it."


The two most memorable quotes from my conversation with Bećković.

Monday morning I'm meeting with some refugees via the NGO group Bread of Life, so I guess I'll be leaving Tuesday from Belgrade.  I'll catch the night train to Skopje.

Quite a stay considering I originally planned to catch that night train to Skopje last Sunday.

What an amazing, blessed week!  Thank you to everyone who has shared their time with me.  You are all cobblestones in the bridge I will build with poetry between us.


(;



~*~

2 comments:

  1. My mornings are so vastly improved by your travel notes, I can't even imagine how much fun you are having actually doing the traveling. CAn't wait for all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I just wrote a lengthy response about things but blogspot+crappy connection=disappearing reply.

    Suffice to say this: the summation of Serbians I've met is that when they here I'm visiting on a research grant from university, they're curious and somewhat talkative. When they find out I'm a fiction writer, they open up about numerous things they would not otherwise talk about. The status of writers/artists/poets is far higher than reporters/researchers. As it should be. And, in the light of how Serbia has been portrayed in Western media, not at all surprising.

    l'
    ~k

    ReplyDelete