Sunday, May 30, 2010

New friends, old loves, and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.

My new friend Milan, in Bela Crkva, is one of the most beautiful people I've met.  Caring, giving, curious, knowledgeable, compassionate.

Chris & Yvonne in Beograd are no less the same.  I've known Chris for (wow!) 15 years now; Yvonne I just met the other day and, even as Chris leaves to fly half a world away (back to our shared homeland of Colorado), Yvonne plays hostess to me for the coming week. In doing so has set up meetings for me with a fellow academic, Sasha (from Sarajevo) whom I'm meeting Tuesday; a reading/lecturing gig at the International School of Belgrade on Wednesday; a lady from Mostar tomorrow and Thursday; and quite possibly one of Serbia's greatest poetic voices, Matija Bećković.

Also, although I'm still going to Kosova following my time in Belgrade, I do beleive now that I'm dropping a couple of routes in favor of a longer time in Sarajevo.  Everyone I have spoken to says things that have led me to want, if not need, more than two weeks in Sarajevo.

What happened in Sarajevo's horrid past is something to be despised, but, however wretched things are, there is no time for hate.



~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment